The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) recently released their annual statistics on cosmetic surgery, non-surgical rejuvenation, and reconstructive surgery procedures. The numbers reveal a number of fascinating trends in American plastic surgery, and suggest the continued popularity of breast augmentation surgery with saline or silicone implants and other procedures.
Dr. Stuart Baker and the Monticello, IL team at the Center for Cosmetic Medicine would like to go over these ASPS numbers. We’ll make a few comparisons, and then try to determine what trends these figures suggest in the future.
Overall Numbers for 2018 Procedures
According to the ASPS, there were 1,811,740 surgical procedures and 15,909,931 non-surgical procedures performed in 2018. Overall, that’s 17,721,671 total cosmetic procedures performed last year.
In addition, there were 5,805,880 reconstructive surgery procedures performed in 2018.
A Comparison with 2017 Numbers
The ASPS has kept statistics for more than a decade. Based on these numbers, there was a 1 percent increase in surgical cosmetic procedures from 2017 (1,790,832 performed), a 2 percent increase in non-surgical cosmetic procedures from 2017 (15,653,867 performed), and a fraction of a percent downturn in reconstructive procedures from 2017 (5,834,353 performed).
The Top Five Plastic Surgery Procedures
The top five plastic surgery procedures in 2018 were as follows:
- Breast Augmentation - 313,735
- Liposuction - 258,558
- Nose Reshaping (Rhinoplasty) - 213,780
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) - 206,529
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) - 130,081
A Closer Look at Breast Augmentation Statistics
Breast augmentation surgery has remained the most popular surgical cosmetic procedure for more than a decade. Here are some numbers from recent years so you can gauge its popularity:
- 2017 - 300,378 breast enlargement surgeries performed
- 2016 - 290,467 breast enlargement surgeries performed
- 2015 - 279,143 breast enlargement surgeries performed
- 2014 - 286,254 breast enlargement surgeries performed
The Top Five Non-Surgical Procedures
The top five non-surgical treatments of 2018 were as follows:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (BOTOX® Cosmetic, Dysport®) - 7,437,378
- Soft Tissue Fillers - 2,676,970
- Chemical Peel - 1,384,327
- Laser Hair Removal - 1,077,490
- Microdermabrasion - 709,413
A Breakdown of Popular Soft Tissue Fillers
Soft tissue fillers covers a wide variety of substances that add volume to the injection site. Here are the five most popular injectables that are classified as soft tissue fillers.
- Hyaluronic Acid (JUVÉDERM™, Perlane®, Restylane®) - 2,128,923
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (Radiesse®) - 227,234
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - 127,394
- Polylactic Acid (Sculptra®) - 121,920
- Fat Transfer Injection - 45,360
What These Trends May Suggest About the Future
We think that these numbers show an increased interest in non-surgical cosmetic procedures. Patients who want to look their best without the need for surgery can rely on these treatments, undergoing repeat cosmetic visits as needed to prolong the aesthetic benefits and results.
As for cosmetic surgery, we think that breast augmentation surgery, liposuction, and rhinoplasty (nose job) will remain the three most popular procedures for a considerable amount of time. Facelift, on the other hand, may notice a continued steady decline in popularity as more people turn to non-surgical treatments first.
Contact an Experienced Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon
For more information about your many options for enhancing your appearance, be sure to contact a skilled plastic surgeon and cosmetic skin care specialist. The Center for Cosmetic Medicine is here to help. You can reach our Decatur office by phone at (217) 877-9000, our Champaign office at (217) 378-8000, and our Monticello office at (217) 877-9439.