Benefits of the Inframammary Breast Augmentation Incision
Breast augmentation has long been one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures. Breast augmentation increases a woman’s breast size, improving the overall shape and contours of the bust line, while giving patients an extra boost in confidence. One of the greatest benefits of breast augmentation is that it is a highly personalized surgery. Women can choose from a number of implant options, including implant type, implant size, implant profile, and implant placement, all to achieve the specific look and feel that they desire for their breasts. In addition to these choices, women can also consider the options for incision placement. Although there are several options to consider, the inframammary breast augmentation incision is preferred by most of our Decatur patients.
The Inframammary Technique
When surgeons discuss the inframammary incision for breast augmentation, they are describing an incision that is placed in the inframammary crease. This is the natural crease that exists where the bottom of the breast meets the chest wall. When the inframammary technique is used, a single incision is placed just above the crease on each breast. Depending on the size and type of implant placed, this incision may vary from 1cm to 4cm in length. Using the inframammary incision, or the “crease” incision for breast augmentation allows Dr. Stuart Baker to have close access to the breasts while leaving behind a scar that is easily hidden from view.
Benefits of Inframammary Incision
The inframammary incision is a very popular technique among patients and is an incision of choice for Dr. Baker as well. This is because the inframammary incision offers a number of benefits. Below are some of the advantages of the inframammary incision:
- This incision offer surgeons an unobstructed view and superior surgical precision
- The scar from an inframammary incision can be easily hidden, even beneath a bikini or lingerie
- Both silicone and saline implants can be placed via the inframammary incision
- The inframammary incision can be adjusted to accommodate both small and large implants
- The inframammary incision allows for placement of breast implants either above the chest muscle, partially below the chest muscle, or completely below the chest muscle
- If breast implants are placed below the chest wall using the inframammary incision, they will never come into contact with the breast’s milk ducts
- Should any complications occur that require breast augmentation revision, the same inframammary incision can be used for the second surgery
Because of the many benefits of the inframammary incision, this is a technique that is often requested by patients, and also one that is frequently recommended by Dr. Baker.
The inframammary incision is a popular breast augmentation technique, but it is not the only option for patients. If the inframammary incision is not the best option for a patient, Dr. Baker can discuss alternate incision options, such as the areolar incision.
Schedule an Appointment
If you are interested in enhancing the size and shape of your bust line, schedule an appointment with Dr. Stuart Baker to learn more about breast augmentation. Dr. Baker is happy to discuss the many options a patient has in regards to breast augmentation and will recommend the treatment options that he feels will best help each of his patients reach their unique aesthetic goals. We look forward to hearing from you.