Body contouring procedures can produce fantastic and satisfying results, but like any plastic surgery treatment, numerous questions should be considered beforehand: Is this surgery safe? What are the possible side effects? How can the procedure be improved? Thankfully, these and other concerns can be addressed by Decatur cosmetic surgeon Stuart Baker; with his extensive experience and credentials, you can rest assured that every procedure will yield the best results possible.
One particular technique offered by our clinic that can enhance the quality of your procedure is tumescent liposuction. With the use of a tumescent solution, liposuction surgery and its subsequent recovery can be made easier. If you are considering liposuction in any area of your body, here’s what you should know about the tumescent technique.
What Is Tumescent Liposuction?
In a traditional liposuction procedure, a thin tube (called a cannula) is inserted into the area of excess fat. The cannula is then used to break fatty tissue apart and remove it. Once unwanted fat has been removed, remaining tissue is contoured for a smooth, natural appearance.
While this basic liposuction procedure is still used with great success, it often benefits from the use of a tumescent solution. This solution comprises a combination of local anesthesia and epinephrine, which is injected subcutaneously into the area of fat. In addition to numbing the area, it also causes tissue to expand and become firm, providing numerous advantages both during and after liposuction.
Benefits of Tumescent Liposuction
With the tumescent technique, surgeons can achieve more consistent results, and patients can enjoy an easier overall experience. Common reasons for including a tumescent solution include:
- More accurate surgery: By temporarily expanding the area of surgery, surgeons can more easily sculpt tissue. Results are therefore more likely to meet or exceed patients’ expectations.
- Reduced discomfort: Epinephrine and anesthesia create a synergistic numbing effect, greatly curbing discomfort for a longer period of time. Patients also report less pain after surgery and during recovery.
- Reduced bleeding: Tumescent solutions also constrict blood vessels in the surgical area, resulting in far less bleeding during surgery and post-operatively.
- Reduced side effects: Swelling and bruising are common side effects after liposuction. With the aid of tumescence, however, these effects tend to be milder.
Additionally, tumescent solutions also allow other liposuction techniques to be performed safely and effectively, including ultrasound-assisted liposuction and SmartLipo.
Tumescent Liposuction Surgery
Liposuction is performed as an outpatient procedure, usually lasting between one and two hours. Once the treatment is ready to begin, you can expect surgery to proceed in the following manner:
- Local anesthesia will be used for the initial incision, limiting discomfort prior to tumescent injection.
- An incision is made, through which the tumescent solution and cannula will be inserted. The type of incision used will depend on the area and degree of liposuction.
- The tumescent solution is injected into tissues below the skin, simultaneously numbing and expanding them.
- The cannula is inserted and used to disperse unwanted layers of fat. As fat cells are broken up, the cannula removes them from the body. This pattern is continued as the surgeon gradually contours the area.
- Once the desired results are achieved, the incision is sutured.
After surgery, you may be given an elastic compression garment to wear around the site of liposuction. This will promote healing, reduce side effects, and help prevent any skin irregularities. Even though recovery is made easier through tumescent injection, it’s still important to rest and follow the doctor’s post-operative instructions. If any signs of infection are present, such as prolonged side effects or fever, contact your doctor.
Schedule an Appointment With Us
All of our cosmetic treatments are designed to give you the highest level of care and safety, while delivering stunning results. For a more accurate explanation of how tumescent liposuction or another procedure can help you, come in for a consultation with Dr. Baker. Contact our office today!